Mr. Green Gaming

Server Tickrate

Honestly in half life 2 games i hate playing on low rates, shots often don't register and like VMR said it's less responsive...

cl_cmdrate 33

cl_updaterate 33

If you're really into shitty low rate gaming...

So I can make myself go slower than everyone else, is that what that does?

And I doubt you have surfed, so I'd stop calling 33tick surfing "shitty low rate gaming" if I were you. Also, it has never happened to me that shots dont register, nor have I ever heard anyone complain about it(until now).

Indeed, like nobana said It's bullshit that only VMR decides.

For second, what regulars? I only see noobs complaining it's so hard to surf and always are in jail.

The only thing that was not good was the bhop, that's the only thing that wouldn't register good, everything else was fine.

Edit:Everything is now how it was before, still too easy.

Edited by Goldon Fleeman

Why do you guys always insist in a change for worse? I have yet to see one good argument for why the server should be 33 tick, except for "It's too easy for me!"

As for the players opinions you could just read the chat log.

Honestly in half life 2 games i hate playing on low rates, shots often don't register and like VMR said it's less responsive...

cl_cmdrate 33

cl_updaterate 33

If you're really into shitty low rate gaming...

So I can make myself go slower than everyone else, is that what that does?

And I doubt you have surfed, so I'd stop calling 33tick surfing "shitty low rate gaming" if I were you. Also, it has never happened to me that shots dont register, nor have I ever heard anyone complain about it(until now).

I have played surf dozens of hours....

If you set your rates to 33 you send and recieve less packages so yeah you basically slow down , how ever this does mean you get less packages from the server because it runs at a higher tickrate. That's why servers often enforce 66 tick, you can even set your rates to 5 if you want and your ping will drop to odd numbers like 2 or something like that, wich is even considered a hack.

Half life 2 games have quite some different net code settings and many users use wrong tick settings if im running my rates at 66 and the other one runs it at 33 that means he's only recieving half of my packages so you will have hits that don't register..

especially in css and day of defeat i'd see their faces red with blood (even after an awp headshot) and they still shoot at me, so his or her client did'nt register it.

That's why i prefer 66 or even 100 tick servers but if surfing runs smooth for you at 33tick i would adjust my settings to that!

Edited by terminator

Why do you guys always insist in a change for worse? I have yet to see one good argument for why the server should be 33 tick, except for "It's too easy for me!"

Why is it a change for the worse? How is playing maps on settings they are made for "a change for worse"? And I have yet to see one good argument for why the server should be 66tick, exept for "its too hard for me!"

Of course, we here are not players, our opinions dont count, right? We've only played in the server since what, 2009?

If you set your rates to 33 you send and recieve less packages so yeah you basically slow down , how ever this does mean you get less packages from the server because it runs at a higher tickrate. That's why servers often enforce 66 tick, you can even set your rates to 5 if you want and your ping will drop to odd numbers like 2 or something like that, wich is even considered a hack.

Half life 2 games have quite some different net code settings and many users use wrong tick settings if im running my rates at 66 and the other one runs it at 33 that means he's only recieving half of my packages so you will have hits that don't register..

especially in css and day of defeat i'd see their faces red with blood (even after an awp headshot) and they still shoot at me, so his or her client did'nt register it.

That's why i prefer 66 or even 100 tick servers but if surfing runs smooth for you at 33tick i would adjust my settings to that!

Dozens of hours, thats cool. I guess you have spent your dozens of surfing hours in a 66tick server(maybe you even started surfing after there were no 33tick servers), and not even once have you bothered to try 33tick, and if you have I guess you just thought it sucks since the surfing wasnt fast enough for you.

During the 400 hours I have spent in Mrgreen Surf server, I have never EVER encoutered a problem with hit registeration, not even once.

But yeah, I'm sure Goldon and I dont know anything about surf, I've only spent about 400 hours in MrGreen Surf, and Gold has only played there for over 500 hours. Why would OUR opinions matter.

Edited by Nobana

Why is it a change for the worse? How is playing maps on settings they are made for "a change for worse"? And I have yet to see one good argument for why the server should be 66tick, exept for "its too hard for me!"

Of course, we here are not players, our opinions dont count, right? We've only played in the server since what, 2009?

Dozens of hours, thats cool. I guess you have spent your dozens of surfing hours in a 66tick server(maybe you even started surfing after there were no 33tick servers), and not even once have you bothered to try 33tick, and if you have I guess you just thought it sucks since the surfing wasnt fast enough for you.

During the 400 hours I have spent in Mrgreen Surf server, I have never EVER encoutered a problem with hit registeration, not even once.

This, plus i have never seen Terminator on the Mr.Green Surf server, so i think hes licking the crews butt.

Edited by Goldon Fleeman

This, plus i have never seen Terminator on the Mr.Green Surf server, so i think hes licking the crews butt.

used to play there a while ago, i just said why i think 66 tick is better no need to get your panties in a bunch...... uptight assholes.

Want to quote this one more time.

When the update struck and that retarded 66tick was forced on MrGreen Surf, everybody complained. Complained about how easy everything was, how some maps turned hard because you were simply going too fast, how annoying it was in general. Hell, even the noobs complained.

Why did they complain? Because 66tick is fucking retarded when it comes to surf.

Now, complains rise again, this time because Clavus changed to 33tick. My point is, that the people who are complaining about this now, are used to it in one week, two at the most.

And when it comes to terminator calling us "uptight assholes", how would you like if we came and tried to fuck up your favorite game(-mode) without knowing anything about it.

Want to quote this one more time.

When the update struck and that retarded 66tick was forced on MrGreen Surf, everybody complained. Complained about how easy everything was, how some maps turned hard because you were simply going too fast, how annoying it was in general. Hell, even the noobs complained.

Why did they complain? Because 66tick is fucking retarded when it comes to surf.

Now, complains rise again, this time because Clavus changed to 33tick. My point is, that the people who are complaining about this now, are used to it in one week, two at the most.

And when it comes to terminator calling us "uptight assholes", how would you like if we came and tried to fuck up your favorite game(-mode) without knowing anything about it.

This.

how would you like if we came and tried to fuck up your favorite game(-mode) without knowing anything about it.

You mean like Ywa and his meddling with the fun server? :V

Also to be serious, I have no idea if 66 or 33 is better, since I hate surfing. So my vote is to get rid of the surf server for a CSS fun server. :pipe:

how would you like if we came and tried to fuck up your favorite game(-mode) without knowing anything about it.

Also to be serious, I have no idea if 66 or 33 is better, since I hate surfing. So my vote is to get rid of the surf server for a CSS fun server. :pipe:

lol, thanks for reminding(damn you Ywa).

We all would like to have the Fun server back. But just dont replace surf with it :( How popular is the GM Ragnarok server, maybe replace that with CSS Fun/MG (asking because I have no idea what Ragnarok Conflict is)?

Edited by Nobana

lol, thanks for reminding(damn you Ywa).

We all would like to have the Fun server back. But just dont replace surf with it :( How popular is the GM Ragnarok server, maybe replace that with CSS Fun/MG (asking because I have no idea what Ragnarok Conflict is)?

Clavus closed the GM RC server link so maybe there could be another CSS server. I personally don't like surf and would rather have a stock CSS server.

Edited by mogadonskoda

Let me explain the situation and give my opinion about it:

The tickrate and bunny hopping:

Before, when the server was at a tickrate of "33", everything was smooth because CSS wasn't running the Orangebox engine yet. It was running the Source engine back in the days, that's why it's called Counter Strike: Source. However, it's not running this engine anymore.

The current version of CSS has a bunny hop blocker which can be disabled/enabled with the variable sv_enablebunnyhopping <value>. The value is currently on, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to bunnyhop which is required on most surf maps.

Now, the problem is that with the current state on the mr. green server you can't bunnyhop anymore even though the variable above is set to enabled.

The problem lays by the fact that this variable is connected to the tickrate, just like normal bunny hopping. The lower the tickrate, the more difficult to bunny hop. The current settings fully neglect sv_enablebunnyhopping making it impossible to bunnyhop even though the server allows bunny hopping. This is a bug in the engine.

The other side of the story, about sv_airaccelerate:

The variable sv_airaccelerate has little to do with bunny hopping, but lots to do with the strafing (not particularly surfing). The explanation is simple:

Whenever you are not on the ground, the variable mentioned above comes in place. The higher the value of this variable, the easier it is to "move" in air. For instance: if this variable is default, and you jump forward, then look behind you, you will land on the place you would land if you wouldn't have looked behind you. Short version: You will not move to the position you look.

When the value of this variable is higher, let's say 150, you will move a little to where you look. 150 is JUST enough to be able to move in air which is necessary for strafing, which is indirectly needed to surf properly, or you will fall down the ramp. Go try create a server with CSS, not changing the sv_airaccelerate. You will definitely fall down the ramp.

My conclusion/opinion:

From the beginning I have always said the sv_airaccelerate was too low. It is 150, I am used to having it at 800 to prevent any railbugs (as you call it when you get stuck on the ramp). I have learned to play with it and accepted the value.

The tickrate in it's current state is the most worse change ever done to any server I've ever seen. Not only does it prevent you from bunny hopping, it also prevents you from jumping from ramp to ramp as is necessary in the map surf_10x_reloaded. You will fall down instantly.

However, there is a solution that will let us have a tickrate of 33. Set the sv_airaccelerate to 800 or higher. This will fix bunny hopping again, yet it does not cause the speed you refer to as "bad". Personally I like the speed because it looks much more pro when you see someone speeding over the ramp. But if tickrate 33 is really the way to stay, then please higher the sv_airaccelerate.

The second part of the fix lays with the players. They have to change cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 33. This way the server is in sync with the client. Otherwise the client would send send more data to the server then necessary (resulting in jump commands being dropped by the server).

Final words:

Change the tickrate back to where it was disregarding everyone saying it's "ok" in it's current state. We should at least make a poll (vote) about this!

Edited by OriginalScrapAttack

The tickrate and bunny hopping:

Before, when the server was at a tickrate of "33", everything was smooth because CSS wasn't running the Orangebox engine yet. It was running the Source engine back in the days, that's why it's called Counter Strike: Source. However, it's not running this engine anymore.

The current version of CSS has a bunny hop blocker which can be disabled/enabled with the variable sv_enablebunnyhopping <value>. The value is currently on, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to bunnyhop which is required on most surf maps.

Now, the problem is that with the current state on the mr. green server you can't bunnyhop anymore even though the variable above is set to enabled.

Whether or not what you said about the engine is true, the surfing was smooth on 33tick when Clavus changed it on saturday, I saw it myself.

Bunnyhop indeed is hard in 33tick, but what you said about maps requiring bhop isnt true. Only some skill surf surf maps require bunnyhopping(and even then you can manage with 33tick), and MrGreen Surf server does not have skill maps(unless they put surf_vegetables back, but no one votes that anyways).

The other side of the story, about sv_airaccelerate:

When the value of this variable is higher, let's say 150, you will move a little to where you look. 150 is JUST enough to be able to move in air which is necessary for strafing, which is indirectly needed to surf properly, or you will fall down the ramp. Go try create a server with CSS, not changing the sv_airaccelerate. You will definitely fall down the ramp.

Yes, that's true, and I am not saying that the airaccelerate should be lowered, since it would affect very little.

My conclusion/opinion:

From the beginning I have always said the sv_airaccelerate was too low. It is 150, I am used to having it at 800 to prevent any railbugs (as you call it when you get stuck on the ramp). I have learned to play with it and accepted the value.

The tickrate in it's current state is the most worse change ever done to any server I've ever seen. Not only does it prevent you from bunny hopping, it also prevents you from jumping from ramp to ramp as is necessary in the map surf_10x_reloaded. You will fall down instantly.

This will fix bunny hopping again, yet it does not cause the speed you refer to as "bad". Personally I like the speed because it looks much more pro when you see someone speeding over the ramp. But if tickrate 33 is really the way to stay, then please higher the sv_airaccelerate.

There is nothing wrong with airaccelerate being 150, it is just fine, increasing it would be idiotic/useless, since railbugs are really rare and most often are caused by the map.

Now, I must say that what you are saying about the tickrate making it impossible to jump from ramp to ramp, is absolutely bullshit. 33tick does not, I say again, does not prevent you from jumping from ramp to ramp. 33tick does not affect that.

Okay, you like the speed because it "looks pro"? Surfing fast isnt possible on 33tick, is that what you are saying? Oh boy have you got a lot to learn about surfing if you say that surfing is slow on 33tick. And oh, speed doesnt make you pro at surfing, because everyone is going fast when the server is 66tick.

Edited by Nobana

I still don't get what the exact problem currently is. What is exactly being hard right now? If the surfing itself is quite more difficult than before, then the sv_airaccelerate cvar should be set higher. I'm unsure if 800 is the perfect value. But we did use to have 200 and even 250 in the past (talking about pre-Orangebox engine and years ago).

I'll play a few rounds surf tonight and see what the exact problem is.

Please elaborate how to design a map for a specific tickrate..

I myself see no option for this in HAMMER.

Please give me examples. I think you are just making this up. I can play on ANY surfmap with a tickrate of 66 without problems. 33 is a problem though.

How comes that there are only a few servers running a tickrate of 33? Are you so egoistic that you are willing to have a tickrate of 33, which makes only a few 10 people happy?

The tickrate has been reverted to 66 already so you can't see what I meant.

Edited by OriginalScrapAttack

Please elaborate how to design a map for a specific tickrate..

I myself see no option for this in HAMMER.

Please give me examples. I think you are just making this up. I can play on ANY surfmap with a tickrate of 66 without problems. 33 is a problem though.

How comes that there are only a few servers running a tickrate of 33? Are you so egoistic that you are willing to have a tickrate of 33, which makes only a few 10 people happy?

The tickrate has been reverted to 66 already so you can't see what I meant.

Oh my god. Have you ever surfed in a 33tick server?

The maps are designed for 33 tickrate because in 33tickrate people dont gain so much SPEED so easily. With SPEED you move FAST, and since 66tickrate makes it so god damn easy to gain speed, maps(surf_legends for example) are impossible to play correctly. Maps become hard to play because you are going too fast. Some maps become too fucking easy for everybody.

If 33tickrate is a problem for you, it means you suck at surfing.

Servers are running 66tick because Valve forced it on all servers and they dong boughter to use plugins to change it back to 33tick.

Edit: You know what being booksmart is? Pretending to know stuff just because you've read shit about it in books/internet but you havent really tried it yourself.

Now this seems to be the case in most of you guys.

You havent surfed, and if you have its only been 66tick and only a few hours. You think that because 66tick is better generally, that it also is in surf.

Edited by Nobana

66ticks was always more popular than 33tick (even for surfing). We only started using 33tick because it decreased lag etc.

Most maps are designed with both 33 and 66 tick in mind. 100 ticks gives problems usually.

Strange. Since I dont know how can it be more popular since it was 33tick and full 12 hours a day.