Mr. Green Gaming

Discuss Anime

Reap3r

Well the day before yesterday I had a two-hour discussion of anime with Xeim, which frankly, quite surprised me. As I had to log off we couldn't resume the conversation which was too bad. But as with this in thought I remember the several conversations about anime I had with Clavus and the discussions in Shoutbox. So I was wondering, why is there no Anime Thread in Mr.Green? That's why this topic was born at 14th of November, 06:14(GMT).

I would like to have your opinion about this season of anime :)

As for mine:

Girls: Und Panzer is okay if you like Moe stuff. Kawaii desu~

K: has a nice story and reminds me a bit of Durarara!

SAO: is good as usual :)(because OMG VR zomg zomg)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: is good if you like romance :P though lately I have the feeling that it just cycles who loves each other.

Bakuman S3: Dang that OP. I am sad panda a bit since they don't have a anime but they will reach it!

Sakurasou: A enjoyable show if it is up your alley other than the predictable scenes.

Magi: That damn description made me think about a disney movie, boy was I wrong.

Ixion Saga DT: Tarps.

Hunter X Hunter: Can't wait for moar!

Anyway I can keep on rambling forever :). I look forward to the replies.

Currently watching:

Psycho-Pass

I like most of Urobutcher's works so I have high hopes for this. It's been pretty good so far.

Who's going to die first? My money goes to the old man.

Sword Art Online

It's pretty average. Nothing special about it except the VRMMO stuff.

Doesn't really deserve all the hate it gets, although I can understand it.

Had huge potential.

Jormungand

Thoroughly enjoying it. One of the best ones this season.

Robotics;Notes

Don't have an opinion yet.

Btooom!

Oh hey, another Battle Royale/Hunger Games rip-off. It's pretty enjoyable.

The manga is better though. And more extreme.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

It's JoJo.

Muv-Luv Alternative

It's pretty shit, but I need my weekly mecha dosage.

It has some good parts here and there.

Chuunibyou

I don't know whether I like this one or hate it. It's... interesting.

Here's most of what I've watched in the course of 9 years.

Linky

My list is over here:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Clavus

Currently following Sword Art Online, which is entertaining enough, and the new Gintama episodes, whenever those get released between the re-runs.

I use this website to see when what is being shown so I know I can download it the next day. Anime sub groups are damn fast :V

Also we should hide this topic from Ywa if we don't want it to be overrun with snarky remarks.

Quite a refined taste you have there. It's pretty easy to recommend most of these.

Afro Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent.

Great series, must watches in my opinion. I still haven't gotten around watching Paranoia Agent though.

Might want to check out Katanagatari.

I'm not an anime person, but when I am one, I watch some Hellsing (Retro version).

While not bad, the retro version doesn't even compare to Ultimate which follows the original manga's storyline. I mean, it's basically the first 2 OVAs with a cliffhanger ending.

The opening is great though.

I'm not an anime person, but when I am one, I watch some Hellsing (Retro version).

This thread is about THIS season, which means 2012. Hellsing Ultimate indeed is still airing, but it stopped ages ago, as for the original version it started and ended years ago.

Anyways, this (link) is my anime list.

Btooom!:

Action anime that looks like a hunger game where you can kill people using bombs, the concept is kinda the same as SAO (stuck inside a game), although it happens in "real life".

All that I can say is that it looks like a combination of High School Of The Dead and Mirai Nikki, minus strange powers, minus zombies, plus bombs

Code:Breaker:

Some guys (Code:breakers) with different powers that fight against evil people and kill them. (An eye for an eye, A tooth for a tooth, An evil for an evil)

I'm currently liking its plot development

K (or K-Project):

An interesting action anime with special powers and clansmen fighting eachother.

The graphics and the animation are great and the characters are well made

Robotics;Notes:

You can't afford to miss this one. Just awesome ( just like the predecessors Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate )

Sword Art Online (or SAO):

Well, do I even have to say anything about this one? Its setting is unique, and the plot seems fine (unlike most haters say, spouting "plot hole" here and there.)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun:

A good combination of light romance and comedy, 'nuff said.

Zetsuen no Tempest:

It's quite entertaining and pretty good, I raccomend this one aswell.

I'm not very convinced about Psycho-Pass (watched the first episode and it seemed like a chaotic mess), Jormungand (I actually haven't tried this one), and Jojo's bizarre adventure.

Are they really that good?

Edited by Quert

Well, do I even have to say anything about this one? Its setting is unique.

Don't want to be a hater here, but there's a whole media franchise (anime, games, manga etc.) that did this before SAO known as .hack (DotHack).

.hack//Sign (2002) starts with the main character being trapped in an MMO. Sound familiar?

The setting is rare, but hardly unique. I can't really compare them, because I dropped .hack//sign a few years ago midway through.

If you enjoy SAO then you'll probably enjoy .hack too. Just a heads up.

Edit.

I hope I didn't come off too offensive.

Edited by Kefeus

Well, do I even have to say anything about this one? Its setting is unique.

Don't want to be a hater here, but there's a whole media franchise (anime, games, manga etc.) that did this before SAO known as .hack (DotHack).

.hack//Sign (2002) starts with the main character being trapped in an MMO. Sound familiar?

The setting is rare, but hardly unique. I can't really compare them, because I dropped .hack//sign a few years ago midway through.

If you enjoy SAO then you'll probably enjoy .hack too. Just a heads up.

Edit.

I hope I didn't come off too offensive.

Actually, I already knew about .hack, and I didn't mean "unique" in that way. (well, let's just say I've picked the wrong word...)

But, actually, SAO's light novel was written back in 2006 , or so I heard. So .hack and SAO were technically made at the same time.

Edit: No, wait. It was written since 2002 and published in 2009.

It was written as a Web novel with the penname "Kunori Fumio" since 2002, and was published in 2009 at the same time as Accel World, in the label Dengeki Bunko.
(wiki)

Edit 2: Oh. Well, .hack started in 2002 too, so I can still say that they both were made in the same year.

Project .hack was the first project of the .hack series. It launched in 2002 with the PlayStation 2 game, .hack//Infection and the anime series .hack//Sign.
Edited by Quert

Actually you should watch .hack//roots to see if you like .hack series, as that is the best .hack in my opinion and if you don't like that, nuff said.

New episode of Jormungand out, GO GO GO

Edit: Just watched it, the first notable points were:

Jonah was talking/expressing more than usual.

Tojo gunfight with random SR guy: He kept shooting at his face but only hitted his shoulder, talk about inaccurate guns. Well he was basically a retard as he shot the first few stairs and then up to try kill Jonah.

Edited by Reap3r

Fuck i wrote a long ass review on the stuff im watching but i closed the page on accident.

Whatever ill just recommend some shows from what im currently watching

Feel free to add me http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Gri55on

Seems like most people are watching the same stuff;

Btoom!

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Girls und Panzer

Hellsing Ultimate (Final episode is scheduled 21.12.2012)

Jormungand: Perfect Order

K

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

Psycho-Pass

Robotics;Notes

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

Shinsekai yori

Sword Art Online

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Zetsuen no Tempest

There is just Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, which is airing now.

And you shouldn't watch it because it's shitty.

E: Unless you're talking about the visual novels.

You should watch NGE.

It's pretty much considered a classic at this point. Whether you like it or not.

Edited by Kefeus

There is just Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, which is airing now.

And you shouldn't watch it because it's shitty.

You should watch NGE.

It's pretty much considered a classic at this point. Whether you like it or not.

Its cool, only your opinion is valid bro. Its automatically shitty cause you said so. For the love of god please learn to criticize with valid points instead of trashing.

Muv love alternative is worth a look (i thought the original was only a manga)if you like mecha. However its not the best out there.

NGE should be watched;However for someone who has not seen it already i suggest watching the movies. 3.0 is out soon and ive heard that the characters actually develop in the movies instead of falling into an emo spiraling depression at the end.If you hadnt heard they ran out of money at the end of NGE and had to make use of lot of bleached out scenes and stills. While it worked with the symbolism it destroyed the atmosphere of the show ate the end.

Its up to you which version you watch(i watched the original and enjoyed it) but your probably better of with the movies as a newcomer.

Its automatically shitty cause you said so. For the love of god please learn to criticize with valid points instead of trashing.

Apologies, I might have been a bit too straightforward with my opinion. I tend to get like that. :rolleyes:

Since you asked, here's a few points.

It actually started off pretty good. The characters were mostly interesting and the mc wasn't a total tool like in most animes.

It's actually pretty watchable till the island episode. After that it just gets cringe worthy.

Yui transitioned from a bad ass lieutenant to a high school girl.

The animation quality took a nose dive. It's just atrocious in some points.

Seems like they poured all their money to the CGI mechas.

Yuuya turned out to be a totally generic main character of a mecha harem that's totally clueless around women. I was surprised when they argued about the Shiranui in the earlier episodes. Bridges actually made good points on how to make it better. Showed that he had some spine.

I hear the original visual novels are better, so rather use your time on them.

Sure, it's watchable, but there are a lot better mecha shows out there.

Edit.

I'd still recommend watching NGE + EoE first and then the rebuild ones.

They're different stories after all.

Edited by Kefeus

Problem with anime is 95% of the series are terrible. I've got a low bullshit tolerance. Can't stand moe crap and shitty story telling. The lousy depiction of women is also something that bugs me in a lot of series, but let's not turn into moral police now. I can enjoy a series when it's not a simple money grab, but has an actual vision behind it.

Too bad that great series like Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop don't come by any more. There's not much you can call a 'modern classic' :/

Its automatically shitty cause you said so. For the love of god please learn to criticize with valid points instead of trashing.

Apologies, I might have been a bit too straightforward with my opinion. I tend to get like that. :rolleyes:

Since you asked, here's a few points.

It actually started off pretty good. The characters were mostly interesting and the mc wasn't a total tool like in most animes.

It's actually pretty watchable till the island episode. After that it just gets cringe worthy.

Yui transitioned from a bad ass lieutenant to a high school girl.

The animation quality took a nose dive. It's just atrocious in some points.

Seems like they poured all their money to the CGI mechas.

Yuuya turned out to be a totally generic main character of a mecha harem that's totally clueless around women. I was surprised when they argued about the Shiranui in the earlier episodes. Bridges actually made good points on how to make it better. Showed that he had some spine.

I hear the original visual novels are better, so rather use your time on them.

Sure, it's watchable, but there are a lot better mecha shows out there.

Edit.

I'd still recommend watching NGE + EoE first and then the rebuild ones.

They're different stories after all.

Heh reminds me that a dislike HSOTU more than bad animes due to the fact it could have been so good but ended so bad(trading story and high octane action for TITS TITS AND MORE TITS).

While i actually wrote something similar in my original review "Yui transitioned from a bad ass lieutenant to a high school girl."

I think its intentional due to the fact she is technically still a kid and never got a chance to grow up and was forced into the position shes in today(best i can ssay without spoilers). However they did implement it poorly.

But yeah the rest of your point are so true yet i still like Muv for some reason, probably the really nice action set pieces.

@ clavus your pretty right about that, it is a problem with japans culture in general not just the industry. But when you say that i look at our Tv and just face-palm so your screwed either way.

From your statement i would recommend Psycho-Pass to you as people are already calling it the next GITS.The statement is ahead of its self but its not entirely unwarranted.

Edited by Griffon

Too bad that great series like Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop don't come by any more. There's not much you can call a 'modern classic' :/

What Griffon said earlier. Psycho-Pass is definitely worth a look.

Some are saying it's the next GitS.

Would take this with a grain of salt. It's hard to tell at this point.

Stayed up till 4 this morning to watch ef- tale of memories. It was worth staying up to watch it but its not as good as the romance crowd claim it to be.

Will probably watch the sequel. After that will probably watch Beserk,Texholyze(or however you spell it)and To Love Ru series 2,3 (just or the sake of it. Im finding it difficult to find remotely decent shit anymore.

I hear Monster* good, any comments on that guys?

*Fix'd my bad on typo

Edited by Griffon