Mr. Green Gaming

So I just saw this section a few days ago and thought I'd ask this here, I think I am bottle necking my graphics card. I have a gtx 670, but my CPU is an FX-4170 @ 4.7Ghz... I was thinking of getting a new mobo and CPU, probably an i5 2500k, is it worth it? Because I would HAVE to change my motherboard since it doesn't support intel sockets.

Depends on the game. Some are lean heavily on GPU performance

BF3.png

while others can get extra frames out of a better CPU

Metro.png

Replacing the CPU is quite expensive because you usually have to overhaul half your system to accommodate (new motherboard etc). I'd first make sure if your game performance is really CPU-dependent.

Depends on the game. Some are lean heavily on GPU performance

BF3.png

while others can get extra frames out of a better CPU

Metro.png

Replacing the CPU is quite expensive because you usually have to overhaul half your system to accommodate (new motherboard etc). I'd first make sure if your game performance is really CPU-dependent.

Thanks for this, I think I'll wait for awhile to upgrade then. Maybe spend my money on upgrading this 2$ mouse :)

You don't necessarily need to upgrade your cpu in the future, it depends on the fps you're getting and the amount you loose due your cpu.

Since you'll be allright for fps in the near future it'll be more likely that your fps will start to drop due your graphics card getting relativly outdated. As long as your cpu doesn't start stealing a lot of fps you could be getting with a better one there's indeed no reason to upgrade.

Just check for your delta variable between your fps with a decent cpu and your current one, if it that gets to high you could consider a new cpu to improve your fps till in the end your gpu gets to old aswell.

Hmm you should have gone with an i5 or i7 instead, amds latest cpus aren't so great anymore and intel has a way better price/perfomance ratio atm. But well i think the FX should also be enough for latest games.

Back when I was a nerd with no knowlage the guy at the store recommended me it for gaming, turns out he was wrong, but I didn't know at the time.