⚠️DATA BREACH ⚠️ ×
Mr. Green Gaming

Introducing Zombie Survival : Redeemed Edition

On 10/8/2020 at 1:38 AM, Kashio said:

Hopefully we can replicate some of what's shown in that footage plenty of times. Glad propkills aren't gone, I feel like they're a particularly important aspect of Zombie Survival in general.

Yep, actually I have removed all the "new" stuff brought from ZS 2010 and onwards. Which means no human classes, no bosses, no waves and no complex cading system.

I wanted to come back to a simple ZS. I have waited for a long time for an old school ZS to comeback, which never happened.

But, as we say, we're never better served than by ourselves ;)

The only "new" things that I'd probably add are new weapons, and unlockable stuff (achievements, cosmetic stuff etc).

The core gameplay will remain the same, with few improvements over time depending on the players' feedback

Edited by Chikennugget1
7 hours ago, Chikennugget1 said:

Yep, actually I have removed all the "new" stuff brought from ZS 2010 and onwards. Which means no human classes, no bosses, no waves and no complex cading system.

I wanted to come back to a simple ZS. I have waited for a long time for an old school ZS to comeback, which never happened.

But, as we say, we're never better served than by ourselves ;)

The only "new" things that I'd probably add are new weapons, and unlockable stuff (achievements, cosmetic stuff etc).

The core gameplay will remain the same, with few improvements over time depending on the players' feedback

Very cool, certainly very hyped for it. While I did love the human classes quite a lot and feel like Mr. Green's ZS server was the one that ever really got human classes perfectly well done in ZS history. (And it's the only thing I'd love to see coming back in some form or in some place within GMod itself, really.) The gungame system ALSO really made it much more thrilling than your regular modern ZS. Either the good ol' L4G variant or Classic Edition/Redeemed Edition are gonna be waaaay better (doesn't matters which) than modern Zombie Survival, it is why I am going to make sure to tell a lot of people about what's happening, this deserves to get attention and be able to get popular, I have very fond memories related to this server's gameplay and I really would love if ZS Classic, whether through Classic Edition or not made an eventual comeback.

I can't wait until I can try the gamemode as it once was, back to the simple old days when it was really all about having fun. I never got to play on Mr. Green's ZS server before human classes, but I did play ZS Classic in a different community before that, and I can safely say that plain, Classic ZS is one of my top two varieties of ZS as a whole, and I will be so happy when I can finally play on it once again!

For me bosses pose a problem when it comes to balancing both the human and zombie team in so many ways. And yet for me arsenal crates (arsenal crate shop with points and all that stuff to be specific, the Green ZS crates were fine for me.) pose a problem when it comes to actually having fun and keeping it simple too.

I'd definitely be interested in the good old cosmetics as well as new ones too! As long as they don't feel too out of place it's definitely a thing I'd give a warm welcome back to once more. I believe achievements would be on the same note as well, and unlockables do sound like a lot of fun, definitely wouldn't hurt. The simple things like the very distinct HUD the server had, the different Half-Life 2 quotes that the playermodels spoke out while reloading or just walking around or even spotting a zombie, those quotes I mentioned I believe came around 2010 if I remember correctly based on what I've been told and what I have seen, but those are a couple of little details I'd love to see here too! The distinct visual effects when you were poisoned or a Wraith/Ethereal screamed close to you at one point. All of that made Mr. Green's ZS server really stand out from the rest in a very positive way when it comes to the gameplay formula that it followed through it's Classic ZS-2010/2011 L4G ZS era. I'll be honest with you, I personally quit back in the day once the modern arsenal crate-like system got added. (Using points to buy guns and all of that.) And I didn't do it out of anger of course or anything like that, but because back then I simply felt like I no longer had fun in the server after seeing that if I am very blunt about it.

Over all, I trust that the end result of this journey will be one to cherish, and one that'll be just like the original! 

P.D: I do really hope that at least the cosmetic part of the server (visual effects/models, audio and all of that) bit will be added from the 2010 to 2012 era, as far as I remember, it all looked really good, regardless of whatever route this gamemode and whole project ends up taking. 

Edited by Kashio
On 10/11/2020 at 12:24 AM, Kashio said:

Very cool, certainly very hyped for it. While I did love the human classes quite a lot and feel like Mr. Green's ZS server was the one that ever really got human classes perfectly well done in ZS history. (And it's the only thing I'd love to see coming back in some form or in some place within GMod itself, really.) The gungame system ALSO really made it much more thrilling than your regular modern ZS. Either the good ol' L4G variant or Classic Edition/Redeemed Edition are gonna be waaaay better (doesn't matters which) than modern Zombie Survival, it is why I am going to make sure to tell a lot of people about what's happening, this deserves to get attention and be able to get popular, I have very fond memories related to this server's gameplay and I really would love if ZS Classic, whether through Classic Edition or not made an eventual comeback.

I can't wait until I can try the gamemode as it once was, back to the simple old days when it was really all about having fun. I never got to play on Mr. Green's ZS server before human classes, but I did play ZS Classic in a different community before that, and I can safely say that plain, Classic ZS is one of my top two varieties of ZS as a whole, and I will be so happy when I can finally play on it once again!

For me bosses pose a problem when it comes to balancing both the human and zombie team in so many ways. And yet for me arsenal crates (arsenal crate shop with points and all that stuff to be specific, the Green ZS crates were fine for me.) pose a problem when it comes to actually having fun and keeping it simple too.

I'd definitely be interested in the good old cosmetics as well as new ones too! As long as they don't feel too out of place it's definitely a thing I'd give a warm welcome back to once more. I believe achievements would be on the same note as well, and unlockables do sound like a lot of fun, definitely wouldn't hurt. The simple things like the very distinct HUD the server had, the different Half-Life 2 quotes that the playermodels spoke out while reloading or just walking around or even spotting a zombie, those quotes I mentioned I believe came around 2010 if I remember correctly based on what I've been told and what I have seen, but those are a couple of little details I'd love to see here too! The distinct visual effects when you were poisoned or a Wraith/Ethereal screamed close to you at one point. All of that made Mr. Green's ZS server really stand out from the rest in a very positive way when it comes to the gameplay formula that it followed through it's Classic ZS-2010/2011 L4G ZS era. I'll be honest with you, I personally quit back in the day once the modern arsenal crate-like system got added. (Using points to buy guns and all of that.) And I didn't do it out of anger of course or anything like that, but because back then I simply felt like I no longer had fun in the server after seeing that if I am very blunt about it.

Over all, I trust that the end result of this journey will be one to cherish, and one that'll be just like the original! 

P.D: I do really hope that at least the cosmetic part of the server (visual effects/models, audio and all of that) bit will be added from the 2010 to 2012 era, as far as I remember, it all looked really good, regardless of whatever route this gamemode and whole project ends up taking. 

I'm one of those that quit playing ZS after playing from the 2009/2010 eras of ZS. The only server that still had an old school gameplay back then was Stoned Potatoes ZS but it died a few years ago. 

I'm trying to recreate the 2009 experience from the 2010 code, and while 2010's stuff (human classes, arsenal crates etc) won't be in-game, the rest is very similar to 2009's, if not identical.

I have taken a bit of freedom on some bits, for example by adding a "Half-life" phase when half of the humans are dead (this wasn't in Mr Green ZS, but in earlier versions of the game) or changing the UI / menus, but this won't change the gameplay at all ;)

On 10/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, Chikennugget1 said:

I'm one of those that quit playing ZS after playing from the 2009/2010 eras of ZS. The only server that still had an old school gameplay back then was Stoned Potatoes ZS but it died a few years ago. 

I'm trying to recreate the 2009 experience from the 2010 code, and while 2010's stuff (human classes, arsenal crates etc) won't be in-game, the rest is very similar to 2009's, if not identical.

I have taken a bit of freedom on some bits, for example by adding a "Half-life" phase when half of the humans are dead (this wasn't in Mr Green ZS, but in earlier versions of the game) or changing the UI / menus, but this won't change the gameplay at all ;)

I am one of those who quit around 2011-ish when it came to actually playing consistently when the point shop system was added to the crate, I loved the old crate in which you just pressed E and got stuff at random. I also used to play on Stoned Potatoes, I miss that server myself too, even though I didn't play much on it in general.

I enjoyed the 2009 experience I had in a different ZS community in which, waves existed (rather than infliction), hammer also existed, but humans had a gungame system and no bosses, that was the best for me to be very honest. Just anything that has no bosses and no arsenal crate in its modern formula works perfectly for me, having to shop just sucks for me in ZS and I can't pinpoint why, it just feels like extra effort that's not that really needed. (People would usually just rush the same weapons more or less in most modern servers for instance, kinda boring.)

That sounds cool, I am not sure if I ever got to see the Half-Life phase properly, the closest thing to that is when Dragula - Rob Zombie played and Fasties were unlock. (The second part being completely common nowadays anyway, but miss having Half-Life music of any kind, makes the game funnier.)

I certainly think that freedom of choice with certain bits when it comes to what's brought in and what isn't is a good thing, the HUD/UI overall which I feel is great example for instance in the footage showcased here in this thread's initial post.

Edited by Kashio

Quick update  :

- Backend is now partially implemented, greencoins can be earned by killing people (they can't be spent yet, green shop isn't ready)

- People drop their weapons when they die

- Added the little colored auras that show humans' health to zombies.

- Options menu is in progress, and should be finished soon.

Next things I'll work on after that  :

- Fixing the issue with 3rd person animations.

- Add the remaining zombie classes

- Score screen with real data

- Some fixes or improvements on smaller things

Edited by Chikennugget1

Thanks for letting us know the progress of the gamemode thus far, really appreciated information in general. Can't wait to see everything flourish. I am interested in knowing some minor things, such as whether Half-Life based zombie classes will have headcrabs on them as a little cosmetic thing. I actually like that detail quite a lot, and I am aware it's not something that was a part of Classic ZS itself, and that it's merely cosmetic, but I seriously like it and think it provides a sense of immersion of sorts, so I am kind of interested in knowing, not that I can complain if that's not the case of course, it's more of a question more than anything.

I also was wondering whether if implementing Sabrean's zombie models (which have multiple clothing choices, such as Medic, Rebel, Metrocop and default HL2 citizen) would be possible at all as well or if it could be a possibility in general.

Will there be crows or just a flat spectator mode when zombies are dead? I am quite curious about that as well, considering crows were not a part of Classic ZS.

And lastly, but not least, how about the Green Coin shop? Will it have perks like the good old Mysterious Stranger perk? (The one in which you could spawn at random with a Magnum at a 33% chance per round) and others? Or will they be more orientated towards cosmetics rather than gameplay?

Thanks for reading and again, thanks for allowing us to know how the update is going thus far, can't wait to give it all a try myself. Sorry about asking so many questions, but I can safely say I am quite curious and I think others might be curious about that too. I think it's natural since we're all interested by this project in general as well as the upcoming servers that will exist.

11 hours ago, Kashio said:

Thanks for letting us know the progress of the gamemode thus far, really appreciated information in general. Can't wait to see everything flourish. I am interested in knowing some minor things, such as whether Half-Life based zombie classes will have headcrabs on them as a little cosmetic thing. I actually like that detail quite a lot, and I am aware it's not something that was a part of Classic ZS itself, and that it's merely cosmetic, but I seriously like it and think it provides a sense of immersion of sorts, so I am kind of interested in knowing, not that I can complain if that's not the case of course, it's more of a question more than anything.

I also was wondering whether if implementing Sabrean's zombie models (which have multiple clothing choices, such as Medic, Rebel, Metrocop and default HL2 citizen) would be possible at all as well or if it could be a possibility in general.

Will there be crows or just a flat spectator mode when zombies are dead? I am quite curious about that as well, considering crows were not a part of Classic ZS.

And lastly, but not least, how about the Green Coin shop? Will it have perks like the good old Mysterious Stranger perk? (The one in which you could spawn at random with a Magnum at a 33% chance per round) and others? Or will they be more orientated towards cosmetics rather than gameplay?

Thanks for reading and again, thanks for allowing us to know how the update is going thus far, can't wait to give it all a try myself. Sorry about asking so many questions, but I can safely say I am quite curious and I think others might be curious about that too. I think it's natural since we're all interested by this project in general as well as the upcoming servers that will exist.

You're welcome ;)

About zombies : for now they'll just have their "vanilla" HL2 skin, with no headcrab on their head. No other skins.

Though, I'd like to add some skins in the future (ex : black mesa model, HL alyx model...) as a nice to have thingy.

This isn't a priority at the moment but I'd be up to do it later, and I can already see it as an unlockable content, via green shop or via achievements. I can also think about adding headcrabs or "hats" for zombies as long as they're not too noisy (making headshots hard for example).

Spectator/Crow mode : At the moment, there won't be any spectator mode.

Althought the 2010 had the crow mode, I removed it because zombies can respawn quickly after dying, so it doesn't really makes sense to have a spectator mode for such a short time + there was no spectator mode in 2009 :V

Green Shop : you will be able to buy cosmetics and upgrades as well (lady luck, comeback, last man standing etc...).

For now I'll just consider greencoins being the only currency needed to buy them, but I see one "problem" with this : players from MTA / other servers that have a lot of GC will be able to buy everything at once on their first days of gaming on ZS. 

This isn't necesarily a bad thing, but I'm  the type of gamer for which a reward makes senses when you worked hard for it (el famoso sense of pride and accomplishment :V ).

In that way, I'm thinking about adding another currency and separate some items that can be bought with GC and the others with the other currency.

I haven't made a POC for this at the moment, and I have to talk with Topcrew about this in general, so it's still an opened topic for now ;)

Edited by Chikennugget1
19 hours ago, Chikennugget1 said:

You're welcome ;)

About zombies : for now they'll just have their "vanilla" HL2 skin, with no headcrab on their head. No other skins.

Though, I'd like to add some skins in the future (ex : black mesa model, HL alyx model...) as a nice to have thingy.

This isn't a priority at the moment but I'd be up to do it later, and I can already see it as an unlockable content, via green shop or via achievements. I can also think about adding headcrabs or "hats" for zombies as long as they're not too noisy (making headshots hard for example).

Spectator/Crow mode : At the moment, there won't be any spectator mode.

Althought the 2010 had the crow mode, I removed it because zombies can respawn quickly after dying, so it doesn't really makes sense to have a spectator mode for such a short time + there was no spectator mode in 2009 :V

Green Shop : you will be able to buy cosmetics and upgrades as well (lady luck, comeback, last man standing etc...).

For now I'll just consider greencoins being the only currency needed to buy them, but I see one "problem" with this : players from MTA / other servers that have a lot of GC will be able to buy everything at once on their first days of gaming on ZS. 

This isn't necesarily a bad thing, but I'm  the type of gamer for which a reward makes senses when you worked hard for it (el famoso sense of pride and accomplishment :V ).

In that way, I'm thinking about adding another currency and separate some items that can be bought with GC and the others with the other currency.

I haven't made a POC for this at the moment, and I have to talk with Topcrew about this in general, so it's still an opened topic for now ;)

Thank you very much for answering my questions and sharing what's in mind for Classic, I think a few things from more modern times could be implemented into Classic without destroying the Classic experience, cosmetics and crows are two of those things, but they definitely aren't needed.

As in for the Green Shop, I can't wait to see how it'll be done. I definitely think that MTA players getting stuff on ZS isn't that much of an issue since Green Coins are a key feature of Mr. Green's servers as a whole, but I understand the concerns in mind, all in all, whichever path is taken, I think it's all viable if done well! 

For now I'll be awaiting for any news regarding the gamemode/Green ZS servers in general!

18 hours ago, Throbbed said:

Hey guys! Mo here, just wanted to ask how you plan to go forward with the zombies side of things, for example bots, will there be bots? How will the bots work etc... I personally don’t like bots but I want other opinions and maybe some ideas of how it will properly work in Greens when the server is up.

Hey there.

For now the bots I'm using (like the ones in the video) are just for testing purposes. I don't plan to add real bot players at the moment.

They are very basic and dumb, and I don't want to spend too much time working on AI players for now.

I know there were bots in earlier versions of ZS back in the time but on Mr Green ZS there weren't, and there won't be. At least not while the playerbase is active enough.

For zombies in general, I'm still working on the classes. Right now only the normal Zombie and Headcrab are playable, but the rest will follow soon.

I have fixed zombie's animations, I'm going to fix headcrab's as well and add the remaining classes after that.

Edited by Chikennugget1

Update as of today (27/10/20) :

- Options menu is finished and functionnal

- Added some post-processing options (film grain, motion blur, color mod) that you can enable/disable in options menu

- First person death camera added when you die

- Player Data saving is implemented (your kills, redeems, propkills etc are saved :V )

- Zombie animations are fixed (thanks @WarlikeCracker btw)

- Headcrab animations fixing are in progress

- Chem zombie is done, but the animations need a fix too

The next things I'll have to finish in order to have a functionnal game are :

- Animations

- Score screen with real data (coming soon)

- Remaining zombie classes and fixing their animations (which is the hardest part, thanks to the unclear documentation on the Gmod Wiki :V )

I also had a small "demo" with Warlike and Psychopeti. The main issues that have arised from this are weapon animations which are laggy, zombie animations and some props that don't play effects when they are broken.

I'll try to make a video to show some of the progress soon !

Edited by Chikennugget1
  • Greens

Glad to see you're making progress and having fun, if you need any help just give me a PM I'm pretty familiar with the Mr.Green base.

I've made quite a few maps in the past which either weren't released or used much. I'll fish them out for you so you can launch with some new maps. 

Edited by Duby

As promised, a small video to show some features (including propkills because Psycho loves em :V ).

It's still work in progress but it will pretty much look like that at the end ;)

As of today, 04/11/2020 :

- Wraith is done and functional

- Fast zombie is done (attack animation needs a little tweak but otherwise it's functional)

- Chem zombie is done, except 3rd person animation which is glitchy

- Score screen with real data is now finished

TODO :

- Poison Zombie

- Poison Headcrab

- Fix the headcrab animations (again :frog: )

- Fix chem zombie animations

- Fix some Weapon animations glitch

Aaaaaaand after that we'll be good to have a public demo. Hopefully we can make it in around 2 weeks if everything goes well !

I'll get some help for the animations because this is a big deal !

Edited by Chikennugget1