Mr. Green Gaming

I created zs_pub, map backstory.

pub

Hi All,

I stumbled upon this community after feeling nostalgic and googling for any references of my maps. I was surprised to find that from the number of maps I've released and/or posted about, zs_pub has seemingly the largest online footprint. What was most surprising to me was reading a recently posted deviation claiming that my map was 'a classic' in ZS circles and that it was created by an unknown author. Whomever posted the deviation was correct that I released the map under the name 'Lamar', as I had a handle with that name at Facepunch. I have since posted on mapping communities under a few different handles. 

I can't recall exactly when I released this map, but I believe it was in 2006 when I was 15 or 16 at the time. Zs_pub was actually my first released map and I spent about three weeks developing it. At the time ZS players did not have the option of setting up barricades and had to rely on pushing props on their own to setup barricades, most rounds of ZS saw the human team get wiped out. I disliked how players would camp in single-entranced rooms in most maps and/or would run outside only to get inevitably killed, so I set out to create a small map that would force human players to work as a team and bunker down in a building with a number of entrances/weak points for the zeds to take advantage of. The map's design was influenced by 'Shaun of The Dead' and 'House of The Dead 2'.

Upon the map's release I only played the map several times before never playing ZS again and moving on with other mapping projects, namely contributing as a level designer for Goldeneye: Source until 2011 with the intention of building up a portfolio to become a professional level designer - zs_pub was never included in my listed works as it looked amateur. I work as a security engineer these days and I haven't mapped in four years, my last work was unreleased and meant to be a TTT map --- a glimpse of it can be seen below 😄

Since I never stuck around or even realized that this map apparently was played for years after its initial release, I am very curious to hear feedback on it and how long it stuck around for. 

inb4 cool story bro 

20161102151958_1.jpg

Edited by pub

I have fond memories of this map, it was small but with enough entrances for the zombies to come in and attack humans (windows, breakable wall, breakable attic).

I remember games where I stood with other players in the attic for a long time and we were struggling to survive, until we all died one by one, because when the attic is broken, there are fast zombies and crabs everywhere :V

I'm remaking an old school ZS mode and I use this map for testing 99% of the time because it's small, and nice for testing zombie stuff :V

And yeah, this is definitely a classic ZS map, simple but able to deliver some nice survival moments :V

Edited by Chikennugget1
11 minutes ago, Chikennugget1 said:

I have fond memories of this map, it was small but with enough entrances for the zombies to come in and attack humans (windows, breakable wall, breakable attic).

I remember games where I stood with other players in the attic for a long time and we were struggling to survive, until we all died one by one, because when the attic is broken, there are fast zombies and crabs everywhere :V

I'm remaking an old school ZS mode and I use this map for testing 99% of the time because it's small, and nice for testing zombie stuff :V

And yeah, this is definitely a classic ZS map, simple but able to deliver some nice survival moments :V

Thanks for the feedback, it feels very rewarding knowing that 14 years later this map still has some use. 🙂

Just now, pub said:

Thanks for the feedback, it feels very rewarding knowing that 14 years later this map still has some use. 🙂

It will continue to live as well, because it's included in the mapcycle that ZS classic edition will use, along with zs_bog_pubremake (the one mentionned in that deviantart post) which was made by a member of Mr Green, and zs_greenpub which is another pub-like map :V

The first time I launched Garry's mod, I joined my first ever server - Mr.Green Zombie Survival, and for some absurd luck, the map that was currently playing at that time was of course zs_pub. I was young at that time, this was 2008. Since then, my all time favorite map is zs_pub. None can replace it. 

Thank you for all the great memories I got from playing the map. 

If I could, I'd love to speak with you and recruit you to our roster. Since we're currently working on releasing two new but at the same time loved and old versions of Mr.Green.

Thank you for making zs_pub.