⚠️DATA BREACH ⚠️ ×
Mr. Green Gaming

ZS Redeemed Edition 20/11/20 Demo Feedback

Firstly, very nice to see this gamemode come back, it was and probably still is my favourite game and the sole reason i bought garrysmod to begin with. I pirated the game on PacSteam before buying it, and if I'm not mistaking, Mr Green had the only no-steam server so it was probably the first server I ever played.

Anywho, heres my feedback after trying the demo on sunday:

- Zombies should be able to spawn anywhere as long as out of sight of humans, if anyone remember killas zombie survival in the past, they had it and it made being zombie easier when less people were playing. It also prevents spawn camping. 

- The colours or whatever filter is on to lack contrast or something, it seemed a bit grayish if that makes sence.

- Set bloodspatter on max if possible, in the old versions i remember there to be tons of blood everywhere when people died.

Edited by JohnHammond
2 hours ago, JohnHammond said:

Firstly, very nice to see this gamemode come back, it was and probably still is my favourite game and the sole reason i bought garrysmod to begin with. I pirated the game on PacSteam before buying it, and if I'm not mistaking, Mr Green had the only no-steam server so it was probably the first server I ever played.

- Zombies should be able to spawn anywhere as long as out of sight of humans, if anyone remember killas zombie survival in the past, they had it and it made being zombie easier when less people were playing. It also prevents spawn camping. 

- The colours or whatever filter is on to lack contrast or something, it seemed a bit grayish if that makes sence.

- Set bloodspatter on max if possible, in the old versions i remember there to be tons of blood everywhere when people died.

Hey, thanks !!

For your first point, I also remember this system being used on Stoned Potatoes ZS, but I don't think it's really needed. 

Before adding the assist system, zombies were always winning so I'd rather not add more advantages for them until it's becoming a necessity.I don't exclude the idea of adding dynamic spawning, but for now this isn't on the table.

For the filters, you can disable them totally or partially with the F4 menu, though I reckon that there should be tooltips or icons telling where the option menu is, I will work on this in the future.

I'm not sure how it looks like with vanilla blood splatters, but having blood addons may help (check my videos in the other threads, they have the custom blood decals addons). If you mean the bloody gibs, I can add a bit more gibs but it may have an impact on performance so I won't add too much gibs in a first time.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:55 PM, JohnHammond said:

Don't think that blood splatters are needed, they will 100% reduce the performance and that's just a bit too much for Source engine. The grayscale filter can be disabled in the f4 menu.

In any case, I'd like to leave my own feedback too. If you give me the source code, I'd do some tests on my local machine and then show you the results. And no, no Howlers, howlers were a terrible decision to begin with.

• - the game needs a fresh feeling and needs something to keep it more entertaining for zombies and for humans at start. Humans will be too bored when there's just too many of them shooting at zombies and no one dying (I noticed players leaving because of that), and likewise for zombies when someone just stays AFK. Don't think that introducing auto-kick is necessary however.
  • - perhaps the kill-reward system needs a re-enhancement. Some players start shooting only after a set of bullets has already been shot at the undead, and thus they get higher chances of killing. I'd suggest making it damage-based instead. The player that deals most damage gets the kill.
  • - maps. I'd suggest introducing objective maps and zombie escape maps from the most modern ZS. They are probably the only fun thing about modern ZS because you don't just stand in a room and shoot the entire duration of a match, you complete missions instead. I have a map that I had created a long time ago and I think I just might rework it for the current ZS. For that I'd need you to create an entity that shows hints for both human and zombie players separately. Also create an entity for zombie gasses so players can't just stand there. An FGD is also needed for use in Hammer Editor.
Edited by Mr. Darkness
1 hour ago, Mr. Darkness said:

Don't think that blood splatters are needed, they will 100% reduce the performance and that's just a bit too much for Source engine. The grayscale filter can be disabled in the f4 menu.

In any case, I'd like to leave my own feedback too. If you give me the source code, I'd do some tests on my local machine and then show you the results. And no, no Howlers, howlers were a terrible decision to begin with.

• - the game needs a fresh feeling and needs something to keep it more entertaining for zombies and for humans at start. Humans will be too bored when there's just too many of them shooting at zombies and no one dying (I noticed players leaving because of that), and likewise for zombies when someone just stays AFK. Don't think that introducing auto-kick is necessary however.
  • - perhaps the kill-reward system needs a re-enhancement. Some players start shooting only after a set of bullets has already been shot at the undead, and thus they get higher chances of killing. I'd suggest making it damage-based instead. The player that deals most damage gets the kill.
  • - maps. I'd suggest introducing objective maps and zombie escape maps from the most modern ZS. They are probably the only fun thing about modern ZS because you don't just stand in a room and shoot the entire duration of a match, you complete missions instead. I have a map that I had created a long time ago and I think I just might rework it for the current ZS. For that I'd need you to create an entity that shows hints for both human and zombie players separately. Also create an entity for zombie gasses so players can't just stand there. An FGD is also needed for use in Hammer Editor.

For point 3, I'm not planning to have objective maps in a first time. Let's keep things simple to begin with, then we could think about adding some fun gamemode variants / objective maps.

For point 1 & 2 I will see what I can do to make the early game more dynamic. I'm brainstorming a "weapon mastery" system where you'd need to do X kills / damages to get achievements / GC, but I can imagine something where your weapon is weak at start and you need to increase your weapon mastery by damaging/killing zombies to have better damages/precision and such.

Nothing clearly defined yet but it's in early work.