Mr. Green Gaming

Loosing everyone's connection to server!!!!!!!!!!!

ajpenn

Apologies in advance for all the detail!

I have a real bad problem with L4D2. I’ve played L4D and LFD2 from first release and love the games. However, for months now I’ve had a problem. When I start a game it plays for a while and then looses connection to server – not just that – it also seems to take everyone else who’s playing out of the game as well!! You can imagine how unpopular this will make me! I’ve had phone line problems and broadband problems and have had BT engineers (phone line and broadband engineers) out numerous times for over 6 months. They have replaced my master socket (with one that includes a micro filter – the latest kit), hub, the line up to the telephone pole outside my house and the connection at the pole, and today they have had a team of engineers (I threatened them with OFCOM!) checking and fixing the connections underground and the connections at the local server! I’ve also replaced my Ethernet cables and used several PCs and OS. They have done everything short of spending “a million pounds” digging up the road up to my local exchange. They have now fixed the problem with the phone line and my broadband is running at 5MB/S (ping is about 40, jitter 1) and all the tests, using the latest equipment, are fine. However, I still have the same problem with Steam. I can’t think what else to do and maybe the line problems are just a coincidence. Has anyone had a similar problem – i.e. losing everyone’s connection to server at the same time (hopefully the line stuff is a coincidence). Please help as I’m desperate to kick some zombie ass!

Thanks and all the best, Andy.

They did that just to get your L4D2 server working? That's a load of bullcrap you wrote there son :V

Anyway, I've had a connection issue for a while when I had ADSL. Just had to rejoin and it worked fine again. There are many factors that could be at play but 99% of the time it's your router shitting on the party.

So they Re connected everything and spent shit loads of money for you to play an internet game?

Reply to all:

No, they did it to get my internet connection and phone line working - I've been paying hard earned cash for 10 months for a crackling phone line and a 0.5MB broadband connection when it should be running at 5MB and no crackling! Section 14 1979 Sale of Goods Act 'goods and services must be fit for purpose'. What else would you expect them to do - keep charging me a premium rate for a 1990s speed service - would you pay? If I bought a car and three of the wheels fell of I'd expect the manufacturers to fix it, irrespective of the cost, why is broadband any different?

The router was the first thing they changed - but I'll look into the router settings.

I was asking if people thought that the problem with Steam and the phone line are connected ('maybe the line problems are just a coincidence') or if, now the line appears to be fixed, it's something else - particularly if anyone had experienced the same problem with ALL being kicked from the server when they connected. I hoped someone on the forum might know something about this. Based on the comments (not yours in particular) I'll try another forum.

Increasingly think it's just a problem with my Steam account.

BT are currently working with Local Authorities (LAs) to provide Fibre - but they are starting with Fibre to businesses first. If you contact BT Openreach (or maybe your LA) - and get someone who knows what they are talking about (good luck!)- they should be able tell you the plans for your area.

'bullcrap' to expect a decent broadband service for my hard earned cash - bullcrap to expect anything less!

Dude, you have a server connection problem while the rest of your internet works fine (amiright?). 99% of the time this has something to do with either you computer / router settings or the way your ISP handles the traffic. We just can't make an absolute diagnose from here.

Dude, you have a server connection problem while the rest of your internet works fine (amiright?). 99% of the time this has something to do with either you computer / router settings or the way your ISP handles the traffic. We just can't make an absolute diagnose from here.

Thanks, that's useful. I think the phone line problems just confused the matter and you are right. I don't think it's the computer because I've tried 3 different PCs/OSs, so I'll talk to my ISP about the router etc.

All the best, Andy.

1. have you forwarded your ports?

2. have you tried hosting a server yourself (like so friends join you local)?

3. try using the cable instead of a router and see if that fixes it

There are some in-game commands to, but is it the only game you have difficulties with? I had that problem to but it went away after a while. Hope you get it fixed2

Thanks also, I'll try your suggestions. Nice to get some useful comments!