Mr. Green Gaming

Portal 2 mapping

My first Portal 2 map :)

pxVoa.jpg

Download (dump the .bsp in your common/portal 2/portal2/maps folder, then type 'map sp_clav1_entry01' in the console ingame)

It's a relatively small puzzle, but there is one tricky part you might have to figure out. Let me know how your playthrough went! If you want to be even more helpful, record it!

Gonna play it now and will feedback, I liked it, took me a few mins to figure out, but Im pretty slow :)

How to (if anyone wants)

1) Get cube, place on tray near finish so blue gel drops

2) Place cube on pressure plate it drops on

3) Put portal inside door just opened, jump back over and out

4) place second portal next to button near finish

5) press button, run through portal and get the second cube (second door should open whilst you press finish button)

6) place both cubes on the final 2 pressure plates

7) win :)

Edited by Corby

Thanks Mayco! That was great help since I didn't know you could solve it that way too (grabbing the cube while running backwards into the door). I noticed you missed the white wall just on your left when you pass through that door, so I guess that needs to be a bit more clear.

Great job Bouwe :) . Loved seeing you struggle with the finding the solution. I could hear your brain creaking while you were pressing the button over and over again. :P

Haha, yeah seeing it back it looks quite stupid pushing that button all the time :V

I also tried to get through the door by walking backwards from the button but I failed that :P

I completed it, not bad I have to say, did make me think in parts, I also did a video of it, but Im waiting for movie maker to install.

Haha, I had to install that too first,. couldn't be arsed to start PremierePro

Also WMM has the possibility to directly upload it to youtube from the program.

I completed it, not bad I have to say, did make me think in parts, I also did a video of it, but Im waiting for movie maker to install.

Haha, I had to install that too first,. couldn't be arsed to start PremierePro

Also WMM has the possibility to directly upload it to youtube from the program.

I use Sony Vegas. Plenty of advanced features without being as complex as PremierPro, and not a kindergarten tool like WMM.

Working on Entry02 now. Already decided on what elements to use (the ones with marked with magnets):

elnoY.jpg

I think Entry01 is too difficult, mostly due to it's lack of context. Test chambers within Portal & Portal 2 follow a similar format: Chamber 1: Teach a player a new mechanic, Chamber 2: Give them an example of how to use the mechanic, to get them thinking about it for the next chamber and Chamber 3: Stick them puzzling situation utilising the stuff they know about.

My feedback would be to try and follow the format Portal & Portal: each chamber should have an objective to achieve - something to teach the player.

Also, check out the Summer Mapping Initiative contest thinkingwithportals.com are running: http://contest.thinkingwithportals.com/

Edited by Mr.Layer

I think Entry01 is too difficult, mostly due to it's lack of context. Test chambers within Portal & Portal 2 follow a similar format: Chamber 1: Teach a player a new mechanic, Chamber 2: Give them an example of how to use the mechanic, to get them thinking about it for the next chamber and Chamber 3: Stick them puzzling situation utilising the stuff they know about.

My feedback would be to try and follow the format Portal & Portal: each chamber should have an objective to achieve - something to teach the player.

Also, check out the Summer Mapping Initiative contest thinkingwithportals.com are running: http://contest.thinkingwithportals.com/

The deadline is far too soon. Also, if Clavus just got to know the portal 2 tools, he won't stand a chance.

The mapping contest deadline is too tight (probably because Valve is taking an early vacation) so I won't be participating. I'm not that much of an artist either.

And I'm not trying to make cakewalk puzzles like Valve does (those are meant to appeal to a broad audience), but a set of puzzles that make you think without being illogical or trial & error based. Hints will be more subtle.