Mr. Green Gaming

Tips and tricks 4 PC

You should get a brand power supply (Enermax, Seasonic, BeQuiet, Antec, Coolermaster, Tagan...) because they have security mechanisms like short-circuit protection, overvolting protection etc and they are also much more efficient compared to cheap noname PSUs.

Seems like I don't wan't to save on the powersupply, do they all have the same sizes etc. ?

Cause I don't know much bout powersupplies :S nether do I know what one should be the best for my pc.

Ty math

You should get a brand power supply (Enermax, Seasonic, BeQuiet, Antec, Coolermaster, Tagan...) because they have security mechanisms like short-circuit protection, overvolting protection etc and they are also much more efficient compared to cheap noname PSUs.

Seems like I don't wan't to save on the powersupply, do they all have the same sizes etc. ?

Cause I don't know much bout powersupplies :S nether do I know what one should be the best for my pc.

Ty math

A ~500 Watt brand PSU is more than enough.

e.g.

BeQuiet L8 530 Watt.

Ty math

A ~500 Watt brand PSU is more than enough.

e.g.

BeQuiet L8 530 Watt.

Ty gonna start the build this vcmacation lol (: ty

Ah, I didn't know he was spending 1000+ when I suggested all that haha, he said about 850 originally which would of fit in nicely with those parts :P

Yeah I have a 500W power supply too, not TOO sure what the difference is apart from more pins, which you might need if you ever got (for example) multiple graphics cards and such.

Since your spending so much more now, get a better AM3+ mother board and definately a better graphics card. Personally I'd get more than 300 if I were you cause I'd fill that up pretty quick in the long run, but a great suggestion with your extra money to spend would be a hybrid hard drive instead of a HDD one, basically its a HDD drive with a few gig of solid state inside it too, so can store lots of data and loads/writes quicker too, so you have both the perks! Not too sure on the prices for them however, I'd have to check

Don't rush into buying the parts, make sure you know EXACTLY what the best parts you can get are for your price and check it over with everyone on here too, at the very least to make sure all the parts are compatible (sometimes you can't use certain brands together), half the people here have home built computers too, I'm not an expert or anything myself :meh:

EDIT: NEARLY FORGOT! Get some thermal paste if you don't have some already! It goes on your CPU and makes it cool much more efficiently, kinda a must have, only costs like £6/£7 maybe for some good stuff

Edited by Dr.Minky

Ah, I didn't know he was spending 1000+ when I suggested all that haha, he said about 850 originally which would of fit in nicely with those parts :P

Yeah I have a 500W power supply too, not TOO sure what the difference is apart from more pins, which you might need if you ever got (for example) multiple graphics cards and such.

Since your spending so much more now, get a better AM3+ mother board and definately a better graphics card. Personally I'd get more than 300 if I were you cause I'd fill that up pretty quick in the long run, but a great suggestion with your extra money to spend would be a hybrid hard drive instead of a HDD one, basically its a HDD drive with a few gig of solid state inside it too, so can store lots of data and loads/writes quicker too, so you have both the perks! Not too sure on the prices for them however, I'd have to check

Don't rush into buying the parts, make sure you know EXACTLY what the best parts you can get are for your price and check it over with everyone on here too, at the very least to make sure all the parts are compatible (sometimes you can't use certain brands together), half the people here have home built computers too, I'm not an expert or anything myself :meh:

EDIT: NEARLY FORGOT! Get some thermal paste if you don't have some already! It goes on your CPU and makes it cool much more efficiently, kinda a must have, only costs like £6/£7 maybe for some good stuff

Dear minkey this i what I am about to order;

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - £110

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 3.4Ghz, quad core £105

Corsair DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance - Ram, get 2x4gb if you want 8, thats about £45

(Sapphire HD 6870 1GB - Graphics card, its quite a good mid range one, you might want to get a better one though, £148) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB - around 200 pounds ;X

MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £70-£80

1 or 2tb HDD hard drive £40 and £100

samsung spinpoint 1tb

EDIT: need to now if I need to buy a 2.5 inch hard disc or a 3.5 ;S

Then I'd recommend getting an SSD slave drive . Crucial M4 128GB SSD - £150,

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatpipe CPU Cooler - This is a cheap but good cooler,

CD READER - I wont bother suggesting one to you, any will do. Dont spend too much one one, like £15 is fine,

Ethernet cable - Ethernets better than wifi.

Its like £10 for a 15m and £15 for a 20m.

CAT5e

Only other thing you'd need is windows 7, £40 and £110

BeQuiet L8 530 Watt. Power supply

--------

I'm gonna count it all out and probably gonna invest a bit more in the graphics card, do you know anything good which costs a bit more ? (not more then 100 pound then the original price of course)

Everyone else that has been helping me a lot can you please confirm this is the right set up ?

And btw minky if the van doesn't fit nail on I'm gonna glue it probably or drill an extra hole no problems

TY

EDIT: I saw that you have to do some wiring to install the motherboard in this case;

gonna look up some videos so I won't screw my pc up

EDIT2: All my questions on how to do it are answered, still need to know which graphics card i should get then (;

Edited by Mathijs1996

No problem, graphics card here! Sapphire HD 6950 2GB - A bit faster than the other card and will work much better with future games because of the increase in memory, so can load more at one time. Costs about £240!

DON'T DRILL A HOLE IN IT! No! Haha, it will definately all fit, and if something like the motherboard doesn't line up with the holes then double check there aren't holes in the side and not on the raised bit, which you stick these screws in which let you attach it there. Everything else will be fine, the cooler screws onto the mother board, the power supply will slot in, the drive bays and hard drives slot in and the GPU screws onto the motherboard too so attaching things isn't a problem. Its actually really easy putting them together, as long as you do it right. When you build it make sure you put it on some newspaper to prevent any static charge going onto it cause it can damage the equipment if you have a problem with that, do it anyway to be safe though.

For hard drives, get a 3.5" inch that will slot into your drive bay perfectly, the solid state hard drive may not fit into the bay as they tend to be 2.5" but you have to check the box and it comes with a kind of holder that will make it fit into the drive bays so don't like freak out or anything and drill holes in your case.

Maybe wait until January sales to buy the stuff if you want to save a bit of cash, and as bastinator said AMD are releasing a new range of graphics cards which will mean a price drop in the current ones (they are normally only temporary price drops though). Either way this will fit into your budget so it doesn't really matter if you don't

Edited by Dr.Minky

Just throwing my opinion out here but, I have 8GB of RAM and I will NEVER use all of it for applications, so please make sure you'll be using it to its full potential before buying something you'll never use to its full capacity.

Although I know it will be much more comfortable with 8GB, I mean mine is very fast, but nonetheless just a thought D:

Also, overclocking iz fer loozers.

getting minimal results and receiving a failing piece of hardware isn't worth it IMO.

Edited by Dr. Pannenkoek

Just throwing my opinion out here but, I have 8GB of RAM and I will NEVER use all of it for applications, so please make sure you'll be using it to its full potential before buying something you'll never use to its full capacity. Although I know it will be much more comfortable with 8GB, I mean mine is very fast, but nonetheless just a thought D:

Also, overclocking iz fer loozers. Getting minimal results and receiving a failing piece of hardware isn't worth it IMO.

Agreed about the over clocking, the average person shouldn't need to overclock, if they do they should get a better CPU.. The only time I'd ever overclock is if I were rendering a movie or something like that.

With the 8GB of ram, depends on what you use it for! He said he wanted a computer that will last for the next 5 years or so, so having MORE ram can't be a bad thing, even though its slightly slower than 2x 2gb. Plus if he for example wanted to host a minecraft server or something like that, he could easily assign say 3GB to the server without affecting his performance much at all and would have a server that ran pretty smoothly! Just a thought, thats why I've gone for 8GB myself,

Oh and I forgot to say maths, if you get 8gb of ram you NEED to get 64bit windows, 32 bit will mean you wont use the full 8gb and youll of just wasted your money. Only thing with 64 bit is that with certain games that are written for 32 bit as they are fairly old such as TF2 make sure you boot them in 32bit mode (can be done with a command) so that they run faster, but its not really much of an issue.

Yeah I just presumed he was using it for gaming from the OP.

But its true about the server thing, but if he's just playing games I wouldn't (personally) go for 8GB again, but it's always nice to future proof for more demanding games, plus the extra resources is always tasty.

+and yet there's a good reason why manufacturers keep it at a certain speed, not to make you pay more, but its the most stable and you won't make your CPU fizzle and die a painful death.

Edited by Dr. Pannenkoek
  • 1 month later...

kay guys

I got everything except my graphics card since I can't buy this:

Sapphire HD 6950 2GB - Graphics card £200 in Belgium.

I'm looking for something that is the same price and quality that fits with this set up:

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - £110

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition -

Corsair DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance - Ram,

MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

BeQuiet L8 530 Watt. Power supply

=D

Can you guys please help ? and give me some links from Belgium sites as well ofc <3

thanks

Get the cheapest HD6870.

it has to be good tough

and last for 5 years

this seems a good site http://www.tones.be/

I want it to be cheaper then 325 euros

Lol. When it should be under 325€ and "last for 5 years" then you should get a GTX570 or a HD6970. But in not later then 3 years you will buy a new card though.

Edit: You could also wait for the new HD7950 which will be released in January. Don't know the prices yet.

Edited by CarPileUp

Kay all set

Can't find a powersuplly tough ... :'(

And the thermal paste but that isn't that necesarry ;X

Most likely if you buy an 300€ video card it does not run the latest games on high/ultahigh on 2017, so just buy 150-200€ one and then buy a new one when you need it.

dont need it to run high/ultrahigh

Just be capeble of running it on medium