Mr. Green Gaming

The Forum's Thoughts On MC Server.

awesomeo_5000

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the current set up of the server?

• Yes, I enjoy it and don't want any changes to be made.
    • Yes, but I think it needs some changes which I would love to write below!
    • No, I don't like how the server is set up and needs a complete overhaul.
    • I don't even play minecraft, I was just in the neighbourhood and thought I'd stop by.

The 'Old Guard' players are no longer playing Minecraft. I'm just interested to see what everyone's thoughts are surrounding the server.

It would help to leave a comment if you vote.

Some thinking points:

• Current Set Up Of Plugins, and Potential New Ones.
  • Game Types.
  • Server/Plugin Configuration
  • Connection Stability
  • Community
  • Administration
  • New vs. Old
  • Frustrations

Regards,

Awesomeo.

I thought about making this, decided not to incase it just annoyed people ;v

(what I said in the last thread)

In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with, minecraft.nl needs a re-think. Server hosting is expensive, and at the end of day l4g is paying to host a fairly expensive server that:

1) Doesn't appeal to its forum members at all

2) Barely brings in revenue

3) Is a pain to moderate, both in game for admins who no longer like playing the game AND with people posting complaints on the forums which seems to annoy the normal forum users and clog up the feeds (Although this problem of unban request threads has died down lately imo)

If its going to be hosted it should at LEAST appeal to the actual l4g users, instead of making a load of ''whiney kids'', if peoples donations/Clavus' money is going to be wasted on paying for a service that its users hate. Otherwise it should just be shut down, its burning money

Take the mc project i'm working on for example. Im trying to make that so people will enjoy playing it, the normal PC gamer, not just annoying people, by actually ASKING people what they want to see in the game. Whereas on .nl it very much seems just an endless cycle of the same game with the same problems and it gets very boring. It needs a re-vamp in the same way that ZS is getting re-done!

While I say this, I know the top crew are busy with stuff and are highly unlikely to do anything new with it anyway. Like I said, its just my opinion

I think there should be a complete overhaul of it, (and if not, just removed or have the server shifted to hosting a different game).

PLUGINS: The plugins depend on what new game mode would be decided. I think when doing a new server, its best to delete all the plugins and start again, as it gets a bit messy and you end up with plugins you don't need. The spamming plugin would need to be replaced either way.

GAME MODE: Faction wars can be good, but its ran its course here. Each time it resets its exactly the same (as I said before). While an awesome unique game mode would be nicen - like the SpaceCraft thing I'm trying to make - that does take much more time and effort, and you to consider the amount of time top crew would have. The game mode should be whatever the majority of l4g members want it to be, be it an edited faction wars, creative, vanilla, whatever. Maybe even get people from the forums to design a new game mode.

CONNECTION STABILITY: To have more slots would require a better server, which obviously costs even more money. Either find a cheaper host (suggestion http://goo.gl/CZMNJ ), make players pay a monthly subscription of like or 2 euros or something to have a place, or tell the players the server is shutting down to get them to leave, and host it under a different address (I see no other option, if it were to be members only joining you would just get tons of people spamming in the mc thread, which people complain about anyway).

COMMUNITY: Is terrible, and I'm sure the majority DON'T want it dragging on here. I don't know what else to say on that.. Ive heard several people refer to this as the MineCraft forum, which sucks ass considering the large and wide community of people here, and the amount of effort put into it all over the years.

ADMINISTRATION: Clavus is very picky with his admins, and that is a good thing, but there are also barely any people who play MineCraft who would be good admins anyway, so the chance of anyone on the server being made admin is miniscule. The current admins don't like it from what I've seen, and so its left un-moderated until someone posts stuff on here and they can fix it. Only way to fix that is to get descent players to WANT to play it from the forums, which youd have to do by doing an overhaul of the server (or bribing them with sweets). As I said, if it were a communal design of the server than that wouldn't be an issue.

FRUSTRATIONS: (for me) The community, the cost to the forums; the lack of respect to admins; the lack of admins; the fact it sucks; the fact that barely anyone on the forums likes it.

Issues with the lag, players, plugin issues etc. are obvious. I think what a better question is wether or not you don't play because of THOSE problems, or just because you are just bored of it as well. For me its the later,

Edited by Dr.Minky

Aight,

after finishing my exams the day before yesterday (;

I have been online almost 24/7

And this is what I kinda got from everybody on the server;

Let's start with the ESSENTIAL upgrades/plug-ins whatever:

-Setting blaze rod spawners in the nether as safe zone so people can't jerk around and destroying them,

Then making sure little kids don't claim around it but I'll be sure Corby will help us out with that just like he did to atlentic when they claimed around spawn a few maps a go

-Enable claiming in the nether so everybody doesn't have to hide their nether wart farms.

-Combining the relog plug-in with the current 10 seconds that you can't hurt any body would be awesome (this has been suggested by Corby and I dunno if he has already done it)

-Seperate donation system for Minecraft server like said before on this thread => 2 euros mayby 3 for 1 month a reserve slot.

This will help a lot and ofc with the money from these donations you buy ofcourse more server slots so there is always enough room for who doesn't have a reserve slot. Mayby 1 of 6 slots is reserved ? When this is a massive succes what it probably is gonna be raise it to 1 reserve slot every 4 slots.

OPTIONAL:

-I heared this come back a few times and I know it would help the players a lot: /warp spawn

Tough you can say don't go so far from spawn then, it's a really little plug-in what can do no bad but only good.

-Tpa request ? Cause it's often that you wanne trade and the other dude is on the other side of the bloody map

which is bloody annoying to walk all that way. But this can be fixed with /warp spawn command Ofc.

Really Really OPTIONAL:

-Enable a /shop command ? Where you can buy stuff with the money you gain by killing mobs or PVP. Ofcourse everything has to be REALLY expensive or you got to make sure that mobs dont drop to much cash. If you would have shop make sure there is NO sell command other wise the dupers are gonna sell all there dia for pots stuff or obsidian. This sounds (for me) a good plug-in tough I don't know if it might ruin the survival part or not

Greetings as always

Math!

SCOURGE - The Professionals

My opinion:

Green = NEEDS doing

Orange = Would be nice but needs tweaking and has to be done it the right way.

Red = No, should not happen at all. As it could remove/provide tactics and advantages that shift gameplay.

The lag is a joke, if you can't run 40 slots. Reduce the server slots to actually make the server run slightly?

Too many rollbacks are being done. Even one this week.

Also, the spam guard is not efficient AT ALL. All these unbans could have been reduced to 3-4 instead we have players that have to make an unban topic because of system failure.

Also, the "we need more admins" is nothing we as a community should argue about. Admins should only be titled this rank if they obtain it.

By the way what is combat tag? Sounds effective, but how does it work? Why was it removed (has it even been removed)?

We need more awareness of fair-play. The combatlogging is a joke. At least it has gotten better (2-3 maps ago you could literally not fight).

The 'Old Guard' players are no longer playing Minecraft. I'm just interested to see what everyone's thoughts are surrounding the server.

It would help to leave a comment if you vote.

Some thinking points:

• Current Set Up Of Plugins, and Potential New Ones.
  • Game Types.
  • Server/Plugin Configuration
  • Connection Stability
  • Community
  • Administration
  • New vs. Old
  • Frustrations

Regards,

Awesomeo.

Plugins:

Pretty good, needs an Anti-XRay of course. Flying needs to be disabled if it hasn't been already. We need a better Anti-Hack plugin that completely puts an end to the current reach-hackers and speed-hackers. In the past, I posted a video of a guy named forceofthegrim free-camming, clicking a button which opened a door while he entered my base. Clavus said: "Redstone Glitch". That made me rofl. He didn't even have a redstone torch; so our current No-Cheat isn't doing any good.

Game Types:

I like this Anarchy integrated with Factions so the Server Theme, again, is pretty good.

Server/Plugin Configuration:

Inability to claim within The End and in The Nether is just stupid. Want to keep The Nether a 'Wild West' of some sorts? That's not gonna happen Clavus, no-one can get Nether-Warts and the people who do have it won't even sell it. Server's laggy as hell, and it kind of conflicts with the amount of ticks happening, hindering the Nether-Wart growth. There's no point in reserving a slot for 2$/Euros if we're still gonna have to wait until we get enough money to upgrade. The server theme kind of conflicts with the ability to donate. Some servers if you donate, you get items, perks, Mob Disguise... In my opinion that's all garbage. If you donate here, you only get recognition. No-one's gonna donate if there's no reward - Mungol just relies on the 12 year old Dutch kids, as if they're ever gonna donate. Maybe if you donate you get get TPA? I dunno. I was on this cool server the other day and it had a plugin named Heros, where it's MUCH harder to obtain EXP, but it's much more rewarding since you can KEEP it and keep enchanting (After relogging). In my opinion the server needs a /msg [playername] command and an /ignore [playername] command. Sometimes I was thinking of a /home command where you'd have to wait 5 seconds to go to your set /home. You can also configure it to disable teleportation on enemy territory (You can teleport away if they're offline and you're on enemy territory)

Connection Stability:

I can't say a lot about this since I haven't been on the Server often, but my points of view if a server's laggy or not is: If you can see TNT flying then it's not laggy; but that's just me.

Community:

The community is shit - There's too much hackers, and everyone is always negative, always swearing over a game! Ya, I used to do that, but until I realized it gets you absolutely nowhere, I've stopped. I mean, some of them rage-quit if you kill them, other's just Combat Log, replace their minecraft.jar files with a Hacking Client and then come back and kill me. :angry:

Administration

As everyone knows there's only 1 active Admin on the MineCraft server, and that's Corby. The rest don't even pay attention to MineCraft anymore thanks to the 12 year old Dutchies. Not everyone who hacks is banned. Along with installing an Anti-XRay plugin, you need the plugin: "FoundDiamonds" and configure it to say the player and what ores they've found only in the Server Logs so it won't spam the chat unreasonably. FoundDiamonds tells you: What ore they found and what light-level it was at of which they found it. Pretty decent plugin if you were to ask me. We obviously need a new admin(s) to BanHammer and regulate with Corby. :P

Frustrations:

The amount of Combat-Loggers/Evaders and people who don't even know it's not allowed.

The sheer amount of people who hack and deny it to the end, even when I say I've got a recording/screenies somewhat proof of them cheating.

Of course the lag hinders almost everything on the server. Sometimes I'd pull my trap, and without warning - The server would get a major lag spike and my enemy slips away. The lag also affects how much monsters can spawn and how much my Mob Grinder can produce hourly. Along with what I said earlier, it affects the growth rate of Nether-Warts. :(

I also dislike how I can't pick up Monster Spawners. I liked how one time in 1.8 - When I was in the faction OneManArmy I made an underwater base with a skeleton Mob Grinder - If it works I will download the map and show. As of 1.0 Pre-Release you cannot move Monster Spawners with Silk Touch even. When 1.8 was added, you couldn't piston the Monster Spawners too. <_<

I briefly mentioned this in my post above, but I thought I'd post it again on its own because I said quite a lot.

A €1 a month subscription fee, for all players. If this were set up like the BattleField thing, and all the players were informed before hand, itd be worth it. Maybe some way to let players join for say 12 hour of time before not being allowed to connect though so it's not super threatening to new players.

This would mean actually getting income from the server, being able to buy a BETTER server/upgrade Iris, so that plugins like the one Drainal suggested can actually be used without the entire thing melting, and maybe even improve the community because the people who play will actually be (slightly) decent players if they're willing to pay to come and play on it. Theres nothing to lose, there's barely any income from it currently anyway, and could always be revoked if it didn't work out well.

Also I think if the Gods faction actually had players in it would be awesome, hell maybe I'd even start playing again, because I know Clav only puts people he absolutely trusts in it (Thats what Whimplash said to me once), but what is the point, if its going to just sit there and be an Epeen booster.. Not to mention that they would be able to do administrative work in terms of reporting it to admins via IRC since they are players you can trust. Things are a bit too tight, if a player is trusted and uses the forums they should be considered, I saw a lot of good people turned down, and this game although not the favourite part of the forum among most of us DOES need the most moderating, and is getting the least. Possibly be SLIGHTLY less anal about who can moderate (or at least be in the Gods) for the mc server, just have a few requirements like they must be trusted (Green status would be ideal, but then there aren't many Greens that play mc) and have their green status+ban them if they abuse power, or if not green just give them a 1 month forum ban or something,

damn that got confusing

funny-pictures-gif-penguin.gif

EDIT: Oh, and I still stick by what I've said a million times, ban+unban requests should only show up in the top 5 for server admins. If we're not meant to comment on them unless we're involved, we shouldn't have to see them in the feeds and end up with people moaning about all the ban requests! It just seems stupid :V That should apply to all games though, of course

Edited by Dr.Minky

Minkey is right, unless the part he says you have to donnate to get money.

I know a lot of people will just donate right away if they know their money is going to the minecraft server and mayby get a reserver slot for like let's say 25 euros total of donating. I'm sure the top crew never wanted the server to be at the cost of his members

As you old minecraft users would join the server after kicking people. So funny.

On one point you are right. But on the other... who is breaking all the fun on the server?

MC with greenies (aka active forum and community members) would be more fun as we have lots of people here. But since those kiddies joined, everything turned over.

On the other hand - from who would Clavus receive all the donations? :V

Maybe there should be "special" slots for community members? :o